Saturday, June 8, 2013

Starcrossed

Star Crossed by Josephine Angelini
ISBN: 978-0-06-201199-2
Pages: 487
Appearance:
Summary: 
How do you defy DESTINY?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is-no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. 
At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood...and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together-and trying to tear them apart.

This book was definitely interesting. It took a while to read which was fine, kept me busy through a lot of boring math classes. In my defense, we were taking a test and I happen to be finished, I wasn't just ignoring the teacher...
Honestly, I felt like the book was really confusing in the beginning. All the random attacks, the Furies, it definitely got me interested in the book, but at the same time, my head was spinning with all the crazy things that were happening in Helen's life.The whole prophecy and feud between the Scion Houses was interesting, but a bit too intense, like the first time Helen met Lucas she tackled him and tried to strangle him. 
Still, I really enjoyed the book. The romance was a bit frustrating as you could clearly tell Lucas and Helen were in love, but they couldn't do anything. The most ironic and by far one of my favorite revelations in the story was what Lucas would have been named. Anybody want to take a guess? After all this story revolves around the Trojan War with Helen and her lover. The face that launched a thousand ships. 
I liked the action at the end. It was quick-paced and really satisfying. In the beginning, the only realy action was Helen getting beat up by Hector, and the Furies wailing the background with blood tears (that gave me shivers when I read it). But the ending supplied more action, more drama, and a lot more revelation.
This is the first book in the Starcrossed series. I liked the ending, it didn't seem like a series book with a killer cliff-hanger so I'm still debating if I want to leave it or if I want to journey again to Nantucket and get caught up with Scion drama. Hm, I need to think about it. 


I don't care how hard it is being together, nothing is worse than being apart.

“So, what can't you take? Decide which of the two options is harder, and do the other. That way, no matter how hard your choice turns out to be, at least you can find comfort in knowing you're avoiding something even worse.” 

“What the holy hand grenade was that?” 

“You've got the killer instincts of a houseplant” 

“You and I are way to fabulous to be ordinary.” 

"I bet you were. Five feet of fat head and two inches of a**"

3 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed,
Riv








No comments:

Post a Comment