Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Enchanted

ISBN: 978-0-544-02218-8
Pages: 305
Appearance: 
12180248

Summary:
It isn't easy being the rather overlooked and unhappy youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week. Sunday’s only comfort is writing stories, although what she writes has a terrible tendency to come true.
When Sunday meets an enchanted frog who asks about her stories, the two become friends. Soon that friendship deepens into something magical. One night Sunday kisses her frog goodbye and leaves, not realizing that her love has transformed him back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland—and a man Sunday’s family despises.
The prince returns to his castle, intent on making Sunday fall in love with him as the man he is, not the frog he was. But Sunday is not so easy to woo. How can she feel such a strange, strong attraction for this prince she barely knows? And what twisted secrets lie hidden in his past - and hers?


Hey guys! Wow, this book actually took me forever to finish because I kept picking up books in between that sucked me in. That's not to say that it wasn't a good book. If you scroll down below, you'll see that it almost scored a 4. Without further ado, let's get into the review!

So first off, I loved the play on fairy tales that the author did to create the beautiful fairy tale world of Sunday Woodcutter. Let me just list a couple: The Frog Prince, Goose Girl, Jack and the Beanstalk, and more. I don't want to give too much away and I don't know all the official titles of the stories. But everything was really wonderfully woven together and made the story a lot more interesting and fun.

The characters all seemed to have their own story which is super great because Sunday's story is the first of seven! That didn't come out right. Let me rephrase that. All the Woodcutter sisters are really well portrayed as characters. Instead of the story being an All About Sunday, it also gives you a sneak peak on each sister's personality, character, and all of that which I thought was really interesting. I honestly cannot wait to pick up the next book and find out more about the sisters because they all have me 100% captivated. 

The sisters aside, the other characters were okay. Not horrible, but not as good as they were. Rumbold is, how do we say it, quite confusing as a character. My mind was probably spinning with his when he first made his transformation back as a human from a frog. The scenes were very confusing and honestly, I ended up skipping a couple chapters because I was just so overwhelmed (hence the 3.8 stars). Other than Rumbold, I wish that Alethea Kontis could have elaborated more on Sorrow, Joy, and Seven's life. They seem so different, but they're related. With the sisters, it was easy, but with the generation before them, the water's a bit murky.

On a scale of one to ten, this book definitely hits the jackpot with the plotline. Like I said before, it weaves several classic fairy tales into one adding romance, creepiness, and a touch of family bond. If that makes sense... :) I honestly, when I found out the whole secret of the kingdom, I was shocked and very intrigued. I would have never thought of what happened as a conclusion so it's a shocker, but a good one.

Now I can't not talk about the main girl can I? Sunday Woodcutter is the youngest of her sisters. Each sister is gifted with a special gift, but Sunday views hers a curse. She loves to write, but whatever she pens out has a tendency to come true. What really drew me to her as a character was that ability. Heck, that's some pretty awesome gift, but also super dangerous at the same time. Imagine everything you wrote to be true. Pretty dang awesome. Other than her cool gift, Sunday is also very compassionate and caring, her loyalty to her family is super strong. She might have her head in the clouds, but her heart is definitely down to earth. 

With that said, sorry for the slightly out of order review. I hoped you guys liked it and I would definitely recommend picking it up. Just a tip, don't pick up any action, thriller, book you've been dying to read while reading this because you can get distracted. But if you do, keep pushing forward because the ending is definitely worth it!




“If you did not indulge in fantasies, how else would you know if you were living an interesting life?”

“Sometimes 'Hmm' is the wisest thing to say.” 

“It can't be 'true' love without the truth.” 

“All of us heal in time. The strongest are born again. We only keep the scars we choose to keep.” 

“Somethings were meant to be and somethings were just meant to be good stories.”

“Gifts, like words, carried with them a great deal of power. They bestowed good fortune just as powerfully as they could curse; the could bind people together or tear them apart.” 

“The curse of an interesting life: there are either very good times or very bad times.” 

3.8 out of 5 stars
Foreverly Obsessed,
Riv

No comments:

Post a Comment