Thursday, March 6, 2014

2-in-1: Review of Wither + Life of A Blogger: Camping

ISBN: 1442409053
Pages: 358
Appearance:
8525590

Summary:
By age sixteen, Rhine Ellery has four years left to live. She can thank modern science for this genetic time bomb. A botched effort to create a perfect race has left all males with a lifespan of 25 years, and females with a lifespan of 20 years. Geneticists are seeking a miracle antidote to restore the human race, desperate orphans crowd the population, crime and poverty have skyrocketed, and young girls are being kidnapped and sold as polygamous brides to bear more children.
When Rhine is kidnapped and sold as a bride, she vows to do all she can to escape. Her husband, Linden, is hopelessly in love with her, and Rhine can’t bring herself to hate him as much as she’d like to. He opens her to a magical world of wealth and illusion she never thought existed, and it almost makes it possible to ignore the clock ticking away her short life. But Rhine quickly learns that not everything in her new husband’s strange world is what it seems. Her father-in-law, an eccentric doctor bent on finding the antidote, is hoarding corpses in the basement. Her fellow sister wives are to be trusted one day and feared the next, and Rhine is desperate to communicate to her twin brother that she is safe and alive. Will Rhine be able to escape--before her time runs out?
Together with one of Linden's servants, Gabriel, Rhine attempts to escape just before her seventeenth birthday. But in a world that continues to spiral into anarchy, is there any hope for freedom?


Hey everybody! I am finally reviewing WITHER which is the first book in the Chemical Romance trilogy. I've heard a lot of great things about it from various book bloggers, so I'm really excited to show you guys what I thought. Let's just get into it!

First of all, wow. The story/plot/idea was simply amazing and super creative and W.O.W. I'm not much of a dystopian fan, the genre just never really appealed to me and in some cases that they do, I usually get bored in the middle. This one for the one most part kept me engaged throughout the entire book. I really liked the world building and background knowledge of how the world came to be the way that it is. Everything was really vividly described which is of course, a bonus. I also really liked how the existence of the world wasn't that old. For example, Housemaster Vaughn who is Rhine's father-in-law is still the first generation, meaning he isn't affected by the whole time bomb. It just makes the book feel like where it's taking place is just a little baby, and as a reader you can see it grow through the next couple of books.

Moving on, characters. This is probably going to take up the bulk of this review because they're just so important, at least in my eyes. So first, it's only appropriate that we talk about Rhine. She was kidnapped by this "society" who takes girls off the streets/homes/etc and sells them to wealthy men to keep the population of humanity from dying out. At first, you really admire Rhine for the backbone that she has. She has one set goal and that is to find her way back to her twin brother. Along the way, she does get a bit frustrating. Let me explain, one minute she's plotting her escape, the next she fawning over her husband who she supposedly despises. It does get confusing and after a while, you just want her to make her mind up. Which she eventually does, so at least that's a positive side.

Next is her hubby, Linden. Honestly this guy is way to sheltered. He doesn't know that Rhine and her sister wives were kidnapped and sold to him, he thinks that they chose to become brides. He's also very ignorant to what goes around his house especially regarding his father who is waaaaay creepy. Housemaster Vaughn is not someone that I would like to meet in real life. I actually pictured him as like a crazy hermit surrounded by dead bodies and going in a frenzy trying to find a cure. He gave me goosebumps, big time. Since we're talking about the men in the story, let's also mention Gabriel. I don't quite know how I feel about him because we really don't know much about him. He appears, takes care of Rhine, they fall sorta in love, and then they run. He's very vaguely mentioned and you don't exactly get to know his character, so I don't know how I feel about Rhine running with him...

Lastly, the sister wives. Jenna I love, Cecily not so much. Jenna is like this older sister who got that super backbone that Rhine sometimes loses. She's very determined and her personality gives her this air of sophistication and grandeur that you're instantly attracted to. Cecily on the other hand is whining most of the time, throwing herself on Linden for attention, and portrayed as the annoying younger sister. She also has a very askew look on the world that contrasts with Rhine so you don't really get to understand her that well. But she is very young like 12/13ish so you would expect her to be a bit childish. 

The ending was quite predictable although I must say that one part of it did surprise me. This book did make me tear up, I won't mention where and like I said before gave me major goosebumps. Highly recommend and I will definitely try to get my hands on the rest of the series. :) If you've read this please let me know your thoughts beloooow!!

Rhine. The river that, somewhere out there, has broken free.

Life is much different from the days when there were lilies in my mother's garden, and all my secrets fit into a paper cup.
3.7 out of 5 stars

Keep Reading to see my post for this week's topic of the Life of A Blogger feature: CAMPING!


Hey guys, sorry about combining the posts, but I have so many book reviews to write I just don't have enough space for it all as I am for some strange reason super OCD about the number of posts in correlation to the date...yeah I need to work on that. Anyway, if you haven't guessed, this week's topic is on camping!

I'm actually not sure how I'm supposed to talk about this...that's a bit of a problem I would say.

Well to start if off, I've never actually been camping. I know, the complete HORROR. I definitely want to, but I don't know where. You know those movies where it's just a tent and the open sky. I want to go there, but at the same time, I also watch way too many movies with that scenario and couple of wild animals. So I don't know...


Something like ↑ would be pretty awesome, especially to be sleeping under all those stars. That would be pretty freaking awesome. 

I remember being a little kid and "camping out" on my front lawn with my best friend in the afternoon. We'd pretend that we were in the forests and on some sort of science expedition. We actually had a tent from Ikea that my dad would set up. Yup, I led a nerdy childhood. 

What else about camping can I talk about? XD Well for one, my parents' small group goes on a camping trip every summer but my family always backs out at the last minute, good thing too cause everyone comes back with 1000 mosquitoes bites, Jenn's evidence of that. 

Some things that I look forward to most when I go camping are:

1. Definitely the scenery, I mean it has to be somewhere absolutely beautiful that humanity hasn't destroyed. I doubt I can find a place as beautiful as this, but it's gives an idea. Just look at that pic ↓ , everything's green and peaceful and beautiful.
 

2. All the pictures I can take!! Yup, that's the nerd in me talking again. I love taking scenic photos, it's awesome, it's so much fun, and it's again really beautiful. Example below of a pic I snapped at Janfusan Amusement Park in Taiwan.


3. I think everything ties with scenery, but the sounds I would hear? If that makes any sense. You know those movies where a couple or something wakes up to the sound of the river's flow and the birds chirping above? Yeah, that's something I definitely want to experience. I already listen to CDs of the ocean's waves when I'm stressed, so I think being completely surrounded by the sounds of nature is pretty epic.


So that's my little share about camping, what about you guys? Have you ever been camping? What is your favorite destination? Favorite memory? Let me know in the comments below!! 


~~~~~

Wows, sorry for the super long post, I hoped it wasn't too overwhelming. If you're reading this, thanks so much for reading the entire thing up to this point. I hope you guys enjoyed and yeah, I'll see y'alls later~~

Foreverly Obsessed,
Riv

No comments:

Post a Comment