Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Mermaid's Mirror

ISBN: 0547194919
Pages: 308
Appearance:
7664345

Summary:
Lena has lived her whole life near the beach – walking for miles up and down the shore and breathing the salty air, swimming in the cold water, and watching the surfers rule the waves – the problem is, she’s spent her whole life just watching.
As her sixteenth birthday approaches, Lena vows she will no longer watch from the sand: she will learn to surf.
But her father – a former surfer himself – refuses to allow her to take lessons. After a near drowning in his past, he can’t bear to let Lena take up the risky sport.  
Yet something lures Lena to the water … an ancient, powerful magic. One morning Lena catches sight of this magic: a beautiful woman – with a silvery tail.
Nothing will keep Lena from seeking the mermaid, not even the dangerous waves at Magic Crescent Cove.
And soon … what she sees in the mermaid’s mirror will change her life …


Hi everybody and welcome back to the blog! I think this is my first mermaid book of 2014? I don't remember reading a mermaid book since Monstrous Beauty. Anyway, that doesn't matter much, let's get into it! 

To be completely honest, Lena was not my favorite female protagonist. She spent a good portion of the book focusing completely on herself without regards to those around her. I would have preferred the story from Pem's point of view, but we can't always get what we want right? Lena wasn't completely lacking as a character, she did have really strong family values and a good heart, but it was her excessive ignorance of the people who loved her that annoyed me.

That was a bit of a down way to start, I apologize, but I had to get it out of my system. So now that we’re off the topic of Lena, let’s talk story. The Mermaid’s Mirror weaves mermaid legend with a bit of selkie lore which I found super interesting and unique. A mermaid essentially hides under her seal skin cloak and if it were to be taken and hidden, she would have to remain on earth with whoever was in possession of her cloak. With that said, Lena’s parents are sadly, in that position with her mother being the beautiful mermaid Melusina and her father being a typical surf-boy. I really liked how the story would go between Lena's perspective to her mom's (you didn't know the mermaid was her mom so mini spoiler) and you get this overall sense of longing that is just really touching and yeah...

I absolutely loved Lena's experience in the mermaid world, the descriptions and writing were amazing and everything was really well written. I did really like Nyx and I wished that something could have lasted between him and Lena, but at the same time he takes a good portion of blame in "brainwashing" Lena of her life on land so a lot of mixed feelings about him. Lena's grandparents aren't my favorite in the book. I get that everything they do is out of love for their daughter, but it seems a bit extreme. Maybe King Triton (Little Mermaid) could give them some lessons on how to love and let go? Just maybe...

The conclusion (I tried not to say ending...) was really touching and sweet and just overall makes you smile and hug the book. Lena's brother Cole is so so adorable, the family group hugs, the whole re-connection with her family and friends, ahh everything was so good. At the same time, yes there is that bittersweet moment with Lena and her mother, but they're just meant for two separate worlds. 

I would recommend this even with Lena not being my favorite because it's a great myth/fantasy read and really emphasizes the power of a mother's love for her child as well as family love in general. So if you do check it out let me know what you thought!!

3.5 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed,
Riv

No comments:

Post a Comment