Friday, May 23, 2014

The Sound

ISBN: 1471115739
Pages: 320
Source: PulseIt
Appearance:
15740944

Summary:
When aspiring music journalist Ren Kingston takes a job nannying for a wealthy family on the exclusive island of Nantucket, playground for Boston's elite, she's hoping for a low-key summer reading books and blogging about bands. Boys are firmly off the agenda.
What she doesn't count on is falling in with a bunch of party-loving private school kids who are hiding some dark secrets, falling (possibly) in love with the local bad boy, and falling out with a dangerous serial killer...

Hey guys! Welcome back!! Yesterday marks the last book tour we have scheduled for this month, but don't be sad cause we've got a ton booked for June! Anyway, it's been a while since we've done a review that wasn't for tour, so let's start things off with The Sound by Sarah Alderson!!

I've been wanting to read this book ever since I laid eyes on it last year, but everywhere I looked, I couldn't get my hands on a copy. Then, it was featured as the book of the week on PulseIt and I literally freaked. After reading it, I have to say that I was a tad bit disappointed, but nonetheless I still enjoyed the read. 

Our main character Ren is a bit on the naive side, she's soft, shy, and reserved. She takes a job at Nantucket Island to escape the drama that has been circling around her and her ex-boyfriend ever since he cheated on her. She has very few experience with children so when the baby was first handed to her, I have to admit, I was laughing. Ren has a very quirky sense of humor that appears a various points throughout the story. The Sound isn't a LOL story, but there are these parts that are pretty funny, at least in my opinion. 

The party-loving private school kids were somewhat of a downer for me. I didn't like from the start because they were just a bunch of sluts and playboys, excuse me for being so cruel, but that is pretty much what they were. I was happy that Ren wasn't going to be alone, but at the same time, I didn't like them hanging out with her because they seemed so different to her personality. I actually had high hopes for Jeremy and Ren because he seemed so much nicer than his douche friends, but with each time that he left her to "party," my opinion dropped lower. Also, throw in Jesse and Jeremy is completely out of the picture.

Jesse is your typical strong silent and mysterious bad boy in town, only he's not really as bad boy as everyone thinks. I really enjoyed how Sarah Alderson slowly unfolded that mystery surrounding him and the more you get to know him, the more you love him. He has such a sweet relationship with Ren and I definitely approve of this couple! That is pretty much all I can say about him, he's sweet, he's hot, and he's got a heart. Compared to Jeremy, this boy is the jackpot. :)

Another big downer for me was the mystery. The Sound sounded like a really good thriller to me from the summary, but instead it's more of a backdrop story with the romance taking more of a front seat. With regards to the mystery, the actual culprit was definitely a surprise, but there was nothing that led you to that moment. He, yes it is a he, just sort of appeared out of nowhere, became the bad guy, and Ren is suddenly in trouble. I just wish that the whole tension of the story would have been stronger, the deaths of the other foreign nannies seemed to not even shake the foundation of the story because in all honesty, it wasn't that important

With that being said, I think this book is more of a romance than a thriller, so don't go into the story expecting heart pounding tension. I do like the romantic aspect of it and this was definitely a sweet book. Overall, I would recommend it, despite the suspense not being all that great, there is still a lot of mystery that surrounds characters and when secrets get revealed, things get pretty interesting.
3 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed,

No comments:

Post a Comment