Saturday, June 14, 2014

SPOTLIGHT: Grishma by Kelly Anne Blount

ISBN: 0615782965
Pages: 306
Appearance:
16421118

Summary:
In the world of Necoh, everyone fears Grishma, a hideous murderous beast responsible for ruining or ending the lives of anyone who dare cross her.
As a young boy, Ryder lived with his family, deep in the caves underneath the Kadin Forest, unaware of the horrors of the world. His simple world was turned upside down one horrible night when Grishma attacked his family, killing his father and kidnapping his mother and younger sister.
From that night on, Ryder devoted his life to killing Grishma. He tracked the monster from Necoh, to our world, and back again. Unfortunately, during his quest, he accidentally transported Brooklyn, a high school junior into his tumultuous world, where she is mistakenly identified as Princess Sophie, the missing princess of Sumner.
Days after Princess Sophie’s return, Grishma plots and manipulates the King into drugging and marrying off his only daughter to Prince Algid of Dratun. Desperate to save Brooklyn, who now believes she is the long lost princess, his mother, and his little sister, Ryder embarks on the deadliest part of his quest.
Will he save Brooklyn? Will she ever regain her memory? What will become of his mother and sister?
Through epic adventure, loss, and love, GRISHMA depicts the strength of the human spirit and the tight bonds formed by the unique creatures of Necoh.

Grishma Character Description:

Ryder
-Black hair that looks perfectly tousled and deep green (emerald) eyes.
-Lean and muscular/athletic build (nice/well defined stomach and chest)
-Awesome smile (straight super white teeth)

Brooklyn
-Brown hair with blonde highlights
-Petite
-Small waist and medium-sized chest
-Eyes are hazel with golden flecks

Their Relationship
-Start as classmates that do not have any type of friendship
-Must rely on one another immediately for survival
-Mutual crush develops early on, very innocent at first
-Ryder is desperate to save Brooklyn and his family
-He becomes jealous when Brooklyn a.k.a. Princess Sophie is married to Prince Algid
-His feelings for her grow and by the end of the book he declares his love for her
-She loves him too, but doesn’t get to share that with him, although they kiss several times
-Over the next two books, their relationship faces challenges. Eventually, their love will persist and they will end up together. Also, their relationship will become sexier over the next two books.

Grishma
-Huge, blood dripping from twisted snout, thick scaly hide tenting over a muscular structure, skin is speckled green and brown making it superbly camouflaged, and she constantly smells like rotting fish.
-Razor sharp claws protruded several inches. Each claw is uniquely serrated to do maximum damage and they could slice through flesh with minimal effort.
-Green cat-like eyes (on the cover of Grishma and Ayla)

Ayla
-Auburn (red) hair and blue eyes
-Tiny/very petite
-Innocent

EXCERPTS
GRISHMA (Book 1)
The tears kept coming as she slowed to a walk. Further and further away from the best friend who had deceived her and the boy who’d broken her heart. She wasn’t sure how much time had passed, but Brooklyn soon became aware that she had no idea where she was. A forest and gently sloping hills surrounded her and it became difficult to navigate her way through the terrain. Her only light was the full moon above.
“Great, I look like a hot mess and I’m probably werewolf or vampire bait,” Brooklyn said, sitting down for a minute to get her bearings. Crickets chirped and the wind rustled in the trees. Then, suddenly, everything went quiet. Chills raced up her spine. She looked around. “Hello?”
She heard a loud snap, followed by several cracks in the distance. Whatever was making that noise was on the move and closing in fast. The smell of rotting fish filled her nose and she gagged. What the hell is going on? Her heart thumped in her chest. She looked for somewhere to hide but the abnormally bright moon made that difficult.
All of a sudden, a figure crashed through the trees and collided with her. She hit the ground and her shoes went flying into the air. Her elbow hit a rock. She tried to sit up, but couldn’t. The wind rushed from her lungs. Panic set in. What just happened? What hit me? Did I break anything? Thoughts bombarded her mind as she attempted to take a breath. She started gasping for air. After a few moments, she sat up and looked around.
“What the hell are you doing here?” a loud angry voice shouted at her. Brooklyn spun around. Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped. Ryder stood before her, with sweat dripping off his brow. His eyes frantically searched the woods behind her.
“Excuse me?” she snapped as she attempted to brush the damp leaves and moss off of her clothes.
“Get up! Hurry!” Ryder commanded in a hushed voice reaching out for Brooklyn’s hand. “We don’t have much time!”
“Huh?” she said.
Ryder grabbed her hand and pulled her up roughly. “Follow me,” he whispered.
Brooklyn hesitated. What was Ryder doing out here in the woods? Why did he
want her to follow him? What was he going to do to her if she didn’t follow him? Another loud crash echoed through the dense, quiet forest.
“Quick! Cover your ears!” Ryder instructed.
“Why?” Brooklyn asked.
“Do it or die!” Ryder snapped at her. No more questions, she covered her ears. A noise like nothing she had ever heard before pierced her eardrums. Tears welled up in her eyes. The shriek left a ringing sensation bouncing around in her head accompanied by a blinding pain.
“What is it?” she barely managed a whisper.
“That’s Grishma,” Ryder said seriously.

AYLA (Book 2)
18400226Moments later, he heard the faint shuffling of feet and hushed voices. The icy grip fell upon his wrists, and once again, someone jerked him to his feet. He could hear the rope being cut and suddenly his wrists were freed.
Afraid he would fall, Ryder reached out to steady himself. He gasped when his hand sunk into a fleshy substance.
“You idiot!” someone shouted, yanking him backwards. They whipped off his hood and poked him, forcing him back to where he initially stood.
He blinked his eyes repeatedly until they adjusted to the candlelit room. When they focused on the figures standing in front of him, dread spread through him and bile crept up the back of his throat.


Keep Reading for some special excerpts of two brand new stories!!



SPECIAL EXCERPT
IMPASSIONED (18+) 
He shoved his hand into his pocket. “So, are you with anyone?”
“Yes, I mean, no.” I dropped my head and tried to hide the tears springing to my eyes. I tried to blink them away as I looked up into his concerned eyes.
“Sorry, I didn’t mean to intrude,” he said.
I forced a smile on to my face. “No, I’m being stupid. My boyfriend and I are taking a break and seeing other people this summer.”
20429886He stared into my eyes until I thought I would melt. “Well, he’s either an asshole or an idiot, or both.”
I inhaled sharply. “What?”
Ethan reached forward. His fingers felt electric as they slid down my arm. He stopped and ran his fingers over my bracelet. “If you were mine, I’d never put you through this bullshit. I’d treat you like a fucking queen.”
I yanked my hand back, perhaps a bit too fast because my water spilled all over my chest. A scream escaped my lips as I clutched the front of my shirt.
“Oh, my God, I’m so sorry!” said Ethan. He reached across the bar and grabbed a fistful of napkins. “I’m such a klutz!”

CAPTURED
Read is for free here: Wattpad

CapturedBlood dripped down my forehead and blurred my vision. I swallowed hard as I wiped it out of my eyes and on to my tattered dress. Trying to control my breathing, I focused on the dark alley head of me. I knew he was out there, but I didn’t know where.
A door slamming caused my heart to take off like a cheetah chasing a gazelle. I crouched down and frantically looked for a makeshift weapon. Finally, my hands came across a broken metal pipe. I picked it up and clutched it to my chest.
With my fingers trembling, I took a step into the deserted alleyway. Trying to stay close to the wall, I sprinted as quietly as possible.
A deep rumbling voice echoed off the walls and sent chills through my core, “You can run, but I’ll always find you, Abriana.”
I couldn’t tell which direction it originated from and I didn’t stop to find out. Instead, I propelled my legs forward faster than I thought humanly possible. I chanted a one-word mantra the entire time. Survive. Survive. Survive!
A cool breeze whipped between the buildings and sent shivers down my damp neck. I could see a street in front of me. It was late, but a few people were still out and driving around.
My chest ached and my lungs felt like they were about to burst into flames at any moment. I sucked in as much air as they would hold and pushed my body’s limits.
You’re almost there! Just a few more feet!
Suddenly, I felt fingernails dig into my shoulder and pull my body backward. The change in momentum caused me to fall flat on my back, knocking the air out of my lungs in the process.
A metallic taste in my mouth and an ache in the back of my head were the last things I remembered before everything went black…

No comments:

Post a Comment