Friday, August 22, 2014

The Man Test


   
21546320
Marin Johns is San Francisco’s Pollyanna couples therapist. She’s months away from wedded bliss when she discovers her fiancé is having an affair. After nursing her broken heart with Kleenex and break-up songs, she adopts a new brand of thinking when she uncovers a tell-all book that proves all men are liars and cheaters who will do and say anything so they’re not found out. No exceptions.
In an attempt to convince her friends of her newfound truth, she begins a fictitious relationship with James, a do-gooder from Montana. Marin seeks any means necessary to catch him cheating from hiring a PI to enlisting the help of a fidelity tester. Will her new "boyfriend" beat the statistic or will Marin regret the satisfaction of being right?
Add to Goodreads: http://bit.ly/WKkO1s
Purchase Amazon: http://amzn.to/1qHEss0
Barnes & Noble: http://bit.ly/1rYF0XV
Smashwords: http://bit.ly/1znpisE
iBooks: http://bit.ly/1pxrruG


Hey everyone! Welcome to my review blitz for The Man Test by Amanda Aksel!! I had the amazing opportunity to do an online meet/greet through Mark My Words Publicity who also gave me a copy for review so thank you guys so much! Without further ado, let's get started!!

Marin has been seriously jilted by love. After walking in to her fiance in bed with another women, she's completely devastated. One day, while browsing through the shelves, she comes across a book that states that all men are liars and cheaters and it's like a lightbulb goes off in her head. Marin decides to convince her friends the truth about the male gender and who better to prove her theory true than James, a sweet "loyal" guy who she literally runs into. 

This book was absolutely adorable. It's so cute, I don't even know where to begin. Hm...let's start off dark. Marin walks in on her fiance having a little fun with another lady and gets her heart completely ripped out. I do have to commend her for her strength to put her foot down in ending the relationship despite her overwhelming feelings of love for him. While her methods of rebounding were certainly interesting, it was kinda funny and cool to see her pull herself out of her heartbreak to continue life. Her little run-in with Anderson only further proves her theory but how she handled it was absolutely hilarious.

James is so freaking cute! He's definitely made it onto my ever-growing list of book boyfriends. He's sweet, dependable, loyal, and all in all, a perfect gentleman. He's been hurt in the past and wouldn't want to wish that on anyone else so it's inevitable that he'd stay loyal to Marin. It was really adorable watching their relationship grow and seeing Marin begin to second-guess herself because out of all the guys she chose, she had to choose a keeper.

Marin's friends were also so much fun. Even though we didn't get much of Holly, she's a really fantastic friend for Marin and a really supportive person. Telly we got to see more of and my heart just cries for her. I so desperately want her to find someone like James and I hope that one day she'll find someone who is relationship-worthy for her OR she will finally realize that relationships are worth it. Will anyone?  Oh, we also can't forget about Andy. When we first meet him, Marin just paints him as a self-absorbed jerk that you instantly want to dislike him BUT you couldn't. He really ends up being such an amazing friend for her and really helps her come to conclusion with letting go of her broken relationship.

The ending was as heartwarming as the rest of the story. When things really start to go down, Marin is faced with the facts that maybe she took things a little too far. Her friends play a tremendous role in showing her the light of things and all in all this book was absolutely beautiful. Definitely recommend!



About Amanda Aksel


AMANDA (ah-MAHN-dah)- Latin- Meaning lovable or worthy of love. Fitting. I've always had an affinity for love. Being born in sunny San Diego in the mid 80’s to a young military couple gave me plenty of insight into the dynamics of a romantic relationship. Somewhere between moving coasts every three years, I found myself engrossed in fairytale romances and dressing up like a bride. My first real love was writing. By my sophomore year in a new high school in Virginia, I had a slew of short stories, songs, poems, and articles to my name. Writing was fun. It was a way to get the emotions, dialogue, and pictures out of my head, and create a destiny for my characters. I had no intention of making a career in writing, because it wasn’t what I did, it was who I was. In reality, I wanted to be an actress. Ah, to be the face of someone else’s authored story. The plan was to move in with my aunt in L.A. after graduation, but had a change of heart. Instead, I stayed with my high school sweetheart (now husband) and attended a film school in Norfolk, VA. It was at this school that I discovered my love for writing screenplays and felt compelled to follow that path. But…as the practical girl I was brought up to be, I decided to go to a real university. While working full time, I completed my BA in Psychology in four and a half years. Becoming a couple’s therapist had always been my “backup” career and there I was on my way to solving love's most complicated quandaries one couple at a time. With all my new free time after graduation, I decided to turn my full-length screenplay into a novel in hopes it would help my screenplay sell. I think I was in the middle of writing chapter two when I realized that everything I had ever written was to prepare me for that moment when I knew I was a novelist. Talk about the affirmation of my life. Now my plan is to solve love's most complicated quandaries one novel at a time.
Website / Facebook Twitter Pinterest


4 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed, 

No comments:

Post a Comment