Thursday, April 23, 2015

Perception

Hello everyone! Welcome to my post/entry for the Elephantine Publishing's Perception event. I was contacted by them and asked if I would like to read and review five super short New Adult Novels and have the opportunity to change one of the endings. Of course I said yes so here I am with my reviews. If you'd like to read my entry, you can find it HERE. Alright, let's get into it.

Starting off with the basics, Perception consists of five different stories written by Mary Laufer, Scott C. Davis, Heather Hildenbrand, Nealy Gihan, and Linda Davis. Each story is super short and I mean really really short. The whole book (epub) came out to be 150 pages including acknowledgements and everything. To be completely honest, I had some trouble reading the stories because they were all so short and rushed. I finished the stories with sort of a "that's it?" feeling for most of the stories, but I guess that's when the writing new endings come into play.


My Boyfriend is a Senator by Linda Davis
This is the first story in the anthology and I have to say it is probably the most confusing. I didn't exactly understand what was happening for most of the story - the main character remains nameless and all you know about her is that her boyfriend is a married senator. She spends the story just toying with the idea of how people would react if they knew she was dating a senator, how they'd treat her different, and as she meets different people she debates telling them. Then she meets this older woman and finally lets it all out. The confusing aspect to the story was probably the writing and the lack of context, but it definitely leaves this open for interpretation at the end.

The Missing by Mary Laufer
There's only one word to describe this story and that is injustice. I almost chose this one to rewrite because that ending made me want the bunch my computer screen in frustration. This follows a teacher who struggles to gain control of her class, particularly one of her students named Theresa. Theresa is gorgeous compared to the MC and constantly breaks the dress codes and disrupts the class. Then one day she goes missing and the MC is almost sure she knows who the culprit is, a fellow teacher Theresa claimed to be in love with. However, there's a whole lot of evidence, planted or not, that points to her. Just the way this story ended made me want to groan in frustration.

The Outlaw by Scott C. Davis
This is probably the most random story out of all these stories. The other ones focused on some sort of revelation and this one was about a man who's wife leaves him and he essentially gets robbed by an neighbor who happens to be an outlaw. I don't exactly understand how that fits in with the others, but I guess he did get some sort of revelation while he was tied to a chair watching the outlaw rob him. He gets pretty touchy with pearls...

Drive by Nealy Gihan
This is the saddest story and I couldn't even understand what was going on. The MC Simona is this spunky girl who's in love with this "bad boy" named Trevor. She's been through a lot in life and has only one promise to herself and that is her virginity. After dating Trevor for a while, she decides to bring him to visit her parents since she needs to get some stuff anyone and they're getting divorced. Then something goes terribly wrong, something so horrifying that it completely rips her in half. I know that sounds a bit ominous, but I'm going to leave it at that. Just know that at the end I was internally screaming "NO! Don't do it!!"

Talisman by Heather Hildenbrand
Last story in the book and the one I chose to rewrite! This follows a girl named Avery who has been running away from these dark monsters her entire life. She doesn't know why they are following her, but she thinks it has something to do with the Talisman she has from her father. One night, the monsters break into her foster home and she runs in Lochlan who explains to her what is going on. She finds out that the Talisman is an angelic object, the monsters are demi-demons, and she has the power to use the Talisman's power by reciting a prayer. Again I did find this a bit rushed like the other books, but it was a bit more interesting and developed world and character wise which made it a tad bit more enjoyable to read.

3 out of 5 stars
 

Foreverly Obsessed,



No comments:

Post a Comment