Monday, December 14, 2015

Review: The Weight of Feathers

ISBN: 1250058651
Pages: 320
Source: E-book/Own
Publication Date: September 15, 2015
Appearance:
23848113
The Palomas and the Corbeaus have long been rivals and enemies, locked in an escalating feud for more than a generation. Both families make their living as traveling performers in competing shows—the Palomas swimming in mermaid exhibitions, the Corbeaus, former tightrope walkers, performing in the tallest trees they can find. 
Lace Paloma may be new to her family’s show, but she knows as well as anyone that the Corbeaus are pure magia negra, black magic from the devil himself. Simply touching one could mean death, and she’s been taught since birth to keep away. But when disaster strikes the small town where both families are performing, it’s a Corbeau boy, Cluck, who saves Lace’s life. And his touch immerses her in the world of the Corbeaus, where falling for him could turn his own family against him, and one misstep can be just as dangerous on the ground as it is in the trees. 
Beautifully written, and richly imaginative, The Weight of Feathers is an utterly captivating young adult novel by a talented new voice.
 Hello everyone! Welcome to my review for The Weight of Feathers which I read last month. I first heard of this book through a book newsletter and I couldn't wait for it to come out. Needless to say, this book completely blew me away so let's just get into the review~

This book was so unique and beautiful it's impossible to not be swept away into the story. If I had to compare it to a book, I'd say the writing style is similar to that of The Night Circus. It has the same magical element to the writing  but the story lines are completely different. The Weight of Feathers is a slow book, the writing, the plot, the development, everything has this slow and gradual build. Normally, I would have lost interest, but there was just the way the author crafted her words was so intriguing that I had to keep reading. Looking back, it's actually pretty surprising because the writing style is pretty simple, but the choice of words and the way they were put together gives it that extra lure.

I loved the magical element of the story where the Palomas have scale tattoos on their backs reminiscent of their mer-background and the Corbeaus grow feathers. I wish there could have been more history into how these families got these "quirks" and how they grew their performing business from it. Personally, I can't say that I felt any specific connection with the main characters but I enjoyed their story and interactions with each other. While I love the water, I have to say that life with the Corbeaus seem a bit less intimidating and more fun. The Palomas seem to run under a strict regime-like fashion that focuses a lot on beating the Corbeaus and less on the beauty of their performance.

The entire book radiates charm and wit which makes it enjoyable to read while being a very upfront story. There are secrets in the book but they are hidden so well that I didn't pick up the hints until they were revealed at the end. The ending was definitely swoon-worthy and had me grinning like an idiot. In short, this book blew my expectations and I would love to live in this world.
4 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed,


No comments:

Post a Comment